The Counseling Today staff won a total of five awards in APEX 2023, the 35th annual awards program recognizing excellence in publishing.
- Grand Award in the category of best magazine, journal and tabloid for the August 2022 issue of Counseling Today. This issue was designed by graphic designer Holly Zheng and included a cover story on the youth mental health crisis, a feature on third-culture kids, and member-contributed pieces on social anxiety disorder and working in environments where organizational values clash with personal/professional ones. Of the more than 1,100 entries, only 100 Grand Awards total were presented across 14 major categories.
Awards of Excellence
- Award of Excellence in the mental health/mental illness writing category for editor-in-chief Lindsey Phillips’ January 2022 feature “The emotional and social health needs of Gen Z.”
- Award of Excellence in the health and medical writing category for senior writer Lisa Rhodes’ October 2022 feature “Finding hope after surviving suicide.”
- Award of Excellence in the feature writing category for former senior writer Bethany Bray’s October 2022 feature “Disarming anger.”
- Award of Excellence in the category of best WordPress sites for the magazine’s website, CT Online.
Counseling Today has been published by the American Counseling Association since 1958. Counseling Today staff have received 67 awards for writing, design and website excellence over the past 18 years.