As a counselor, you may need coverage that goes beyond employer-provided coverage, not only from the risk of a judgment against you, but also the cost of defending a frivolous lawsuit. Malpractice lawsuits against counselors can cost an average of $46,921 (Understanding Counselor Liability Risk Claims report, 2014) and can take years to defend. That’s a lot of time and money. You can help safeguard your financial well-being with malpractice insurance through HPSO.
As a counselor, coverage through HPSO provides you with the following benefits: *
- Professional Liability Coverage
- License Protection
- Defendant Expense Benefit
- Deposition Representation Personal Liability Coverage Defense Attorney Provided
- Assault Coverage
- Personal Injury Coverage
- Medical Payments
- Damage to Property of Others
- First Aid Expenses
- Sexual Misconduct/Abuse
- Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA)
In addition, a professional liability insurance policy through HPSO is portable, so you can take it with you wherever you go. Whether you have a second job, volunteer, move, or change jobs, your policy will help insure you.
ACA New Grads and Professionals Receive Money-Saving Discounts
When applying for Counselor Professional Liability Insurance through HPSO
This case study demonstrates how a counselor can be sued even when they’ve acted within the standard of care. The claim was covered by the HPSO Professional Liability Insurance Program, which paid an attorney to defend the counselor, who succeeded in having the case dismissed.
ACA membership provides students with complimentary professional liability insurance through HPSO. When you graduate, HPSO helps keep your insurance costs down by offering three important discounts on your individual professional liability insurance coverage:
- New Graduate Discount that provides 60% savings on the annual premium the first year, 40% the second year and 20% the third year*
- 10% ACA membership discount for individually insured counselors
- 10% risk management discount that lasts for three years when taking a qualified course
*New Graduate Discount applies in qualifying states to individual policies. Cannot be combined with other discounts in the first year.
Do you have all the coverage that you need for your non-medical activities? Click here to learn more.